- “A person will die from skin cancer every four hours in the UK and a new case is diagnosed every four minutes.” (British Skin Foundation)
- • “Over 100,000 new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year, 10,000 of which will be melanoma, the deadliest form of the disease.” (British Skin Foundation)
- “Getting a painful sunburn just once every two years can triple the risk of the most serious type of skin cancer.” (Cancer Research UK)
- “Every year, more than 900 people between the ages of 15 and 34 are diagnosed with melanoma in the UK. This makes it the second most common cancer in this age group.” (Cancer Research UK)
- “Deaths from melanoma in men have increased by a third in just ten years.(British Skin Foundation)
- “UK residents are less likely to apply sunscreen at home compared to when they are abroad, suggesting people are unaware they can burn in the UK”. (Cancer Research UK)
- The costs of skin cancer are soaring. According to the European Journal of Health Economics based on 2002 figures, the cost is in excess of £240 million.
- Perhaps most importantly “In as many as four out of five cases, skin cancer is a preventable disease...” (British Skin Foundation)
Skin cancer is almost always preventable, so by being vigilant and making sure you always wear protection you give yourself a very good chance of avoiding it.
I'm sure we all apply sun cream in our own way, (personally I always do my arms first), but Ultrasun have a few suggestions to make sure you get the most of your chosen form of protection; always apply to cool, clean & dry skin (ideally indoors or the shade) at least 15 minutes before you go outside! Also don't be too worried about slapping it on, the Association of of European Cosmetic Industry recommend 2mg/cm² which is about a teaspoon of cream for your face.
You should also;
- avoid the Sun when it's at it's hottest 11am-3pm
- make sure that you aware of reflection e.g. water & snow this increases the sun's radiation
- stay well hydrated & when you feel too warm find some shade
- protect your eyes with UV sunglasses!
- and of course ALWAYS WEAR SUN CREAM of at least spf20.
Ultrasun create products to protect you from the sun. Their products are free from preservatives, emulsifiers and perfume, so even those with the most sensitive skin will be perfectly fine. They say that you'll only need to apply their products once for all-day protection, EVEN after you've been for a swim.
The Ultrasun range is available from QVC, John Lewis, Waitrose, Debenhams, and many others nationwide. Or you can order directly from there on
01737 245 499.
So tell me, how do you prefer to enjoy the sun?
Stay safe, x